I had this idea for ages. To have a NNFT, Nearly Non Fungible Token.
TLDR, about my background in Blockchain.
I used to work in two blockchain companies to build some chain technology for cargo/delivery/shipping/supply chain and crypto currency. One position is a Blockchain solution development consultant, the other is a full time job as an engineer. (these two are not at the same time 😅)
The first position is for supply chain solution to bring transparency through immutable chain storage to customers, that time it was a trending usage case of Blockchain
At the second one, the boss was more ambitious, he was thinking to build a Crypto Currency for product trading on the chain, and was thinking a lot in game theory how to dominate the currency/NFT through PoS(Proof of Stake) and have the chain public for everyone at the same time. I didn’t work there long, because I found the boss’s understanding was too ambitious and in some part I had fully different opinions about how to use the chain technology.
After that I basically quite from the Blockchain industry. This is basically my background about Blockchain and today the topic was not really related, 😂, today’s topic is NNFT.
NNFT, the Nearly Non Fungible Token
What is NNFT?
Before talking about NNFT, we need to know what is NFT first?
A non-fungible token (NFT) is a unique and non-interchangeable unit of data stored on a blockchain, a form of digital ledger. NFTs can be associated with reproducible digital files such as photos, videos, and audio. NFTs use a digital ledger to provide a public certificate of authenticity or proof of ownership, but do not restrict the sharing or copying of the underlying digital files. The lack of interchangeability (fungibility) distinguishes NFTs from blockchain cryptocurrencies, such as Bitcoin.NFT Wikipedia
In short, NFT is
- A digital record (token), it stores the bits on a blockchain
- It is different with crypto-currency, becasue you cannot split it, (non fungible)
- It is used for proof of ownership, but at the same time, you could copy it too, many trending start-ups in Silicon Valley (like OpenSea) are building trading platform for exchange these ownership
So, What is NNFT again?
- I am thinking instead of using a blockchain to host a token, we host it on something (some existing internet services) else to make it be a proof of ownership, and unique
- The new hosting place required to be
- Everyone could view it and copy it
- Original copy is easy to be seen to become proof of ownership
- Not dependents on one specific platform, if need, it could be able to migrate to other platforms too
- Cheap, no mining required
What technology can be good candidates for the NNFT? To become a base camp for NNFT.
- Git history
- Website, domain name, unique files
- SSH Public Key
|Can be cloned||Yes||Yes/No, you can clone a website by downloading all its files, but the domain name could not be cloned||Yes|
|Modify it after clone||Yes||Yes||No|
|How to proof owning||History commits + Git Platform Account/Private SSH Key||Domain Registration||Private Key|
|Platform Dependency||Local History + Git Service Provider (Gtihub/Gitlab/Bitbucket etc)||Dependents on domain registration service provider and website hosting provider (domain hijacking)||Dependents on SSH Key hosting providers, but most of them are free and open to everyone|
|How Unique it is||Very unique, each commit is a unique hash (there is a git hash clash discussion on Stackoverflow)||Not very unique, different websites might have shared codes||Very unique hash value|
How to build it?
There are a lot of works to do to implement this concept, and more trade off to be concerned.